The formation of a scar:A scar is a mark left on the skin after a wound caused by accident, surgery, burn, acne and so on has healed. It is the result of a complicated skin regeneration process after the injury. The destruction of the dermis or even hypodermis forms the scar. When the skin is damaged, the body will produce tissues and collagen to heal the wound. The new skin is called the scar, which is different from the normal skin of the body.
In the self-healing process, your skin passes through three stages:
- Stage 1: it is swollen, red and then scaly.
- ” 2: the new skin grows over the wound.
- Stage 3: it undergoes the regeneration and shaping of the inner and outer layers.
Factors which affect the scar formation
A lot of factors affect the recovery mechanism of skin lesions, of which the gene-environment interaction plays an important role.
Besides, the scar formation also depends on the other factors below.
- Size and depth of the wound
- The wound location
- Your age and skin color
- The ability of the body’s blood supply to the affected area
- How you take care of your wound
Common types of scars and causes of their formation
Flat and pale types
It results from the body’s natural healing process. It may be red or dark at first after the healing process. In the maximum period of two years, it gradually becomes more even and lighter. Nevertheless, no matter how the scar fades, it will have signs to recognize the initial wound.
Such scars usually do not cause pain, but they can cause itching for several months and lead to loss of beauty. For the dark skin, the scar usually leaves brown or white marks. Also, they can exist all the time but sometimes partially improve over time.
Atrophic scars (or sunken scars)
After the wounds heal, incomplete tissue regeneration leads to a deficiency of collagen causing atrophic scars. There are many types of skin lesions that cause sunken scars, but mainly for three following:
- After healing, acne bumps often cause pitted scars that go into the outer layer of the skin. Their depth and width depend on the extent of scar lesions.
- Minor injuries or accidents such as falls, motorbike burns or scratches on the skin can cause scars.
- After having chickenpox, scars can appear if the blisters are ruptured and infected. Also, they are usually wider than acne scar.
Hypertrophic scars (Keloid scars)
Contrary to atrophic scars, after the wounds heal, excess tissue regeneration result in collagen excess causing hypertrophic scars. It occurs in the third stage of the self-healing process and will continue for a long time without interference. Until now, scientists have not clarified its origin. Keloid scars can develop continuously causing pain or itching. However, you sometimes have difficulty in moving if it is located close to the joints and causes skin tensions.
Top 7 Amazing Essential Oils For Scars
Scars are an obsession with most of the women. Apart from affecting their appearances, these marks make them lose confidence in daily communication. Not just that, they are even considered as an “obstacle” that influences their success. However, don’t worry too much. Coping with the scars is no longer difficult if you know seven amazing essential oils for scar. All of them are very useful and easy to do at home.
Tea tree essential oil
In addition to the use of whitening, treating pimples, tea tree essential oil is known for removing keloid scars amazingly. It not only relieves itching and redness due to inflammation but also suppresses abnormal cell growth. Note that this oil works faster on new keloids. It can take a long time to work on long-standing ones.
How to do:
- Clean your keloid skin with mild soap and let it dry.
- Directly apply tea tree essential oil to the affected skin.
- Do this twice a day until the keloid scars disappear.
After getting rid of the keloid scars, you should only use the tea tree oil once a day to prevent them from returning. If you cannot tolerate its odor, dilute it with water, so it takes a longer time to treat the keloid scars.
Lemon essential oil
Being one of the best essential oils for scars, it has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties to help brighten the skin, fill up the atrophic or sunken scar quickly. Acidity in lemon stimulates the formation of powerful bonds between collagen and elastic fibers, giving you a smoother, whiter and brighter complexion. Note that lemon essential oil is only advantageous for new atrophic scars.
How to do:
- Clean your atrophic skin and apply a little lemon essential oil to it
- Gently massage it for 20-30 minutes to get the nutrients penetrate into the skin
- Rinse off your skin with lukewarm water
You can apply this method every evening before going to bed for three weeks, which helps you quickly remove scarring.
Coconut essential oil
The fatty acid in this essential oil has an excellent antioxidant effect, which is effective in stimulating collagen production and filling the pitted scars. Especially, the antioxidants help reduce the time spent on healing the atrophic scars and prevent the formation of new scars.
How to do:
- Cleanse the skin properly.
- Use a cotton pad absorbed with coconut oil to spread onto the atrophic scars.
- Gently massage for 15-20 minutes so that the nutrients can absorb into the skin deeply and fill the pitted scars.
- Rinse off the skin with water.
Perform this way twice or four times a day to get unexpected results.
Olive essential oil
Olive oil is rich in vitamins and antioxidants that stimulate the growth of new cells. With anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, it heals wounds caused by scars. Therefore, after removing the acne, you can choose the olive oil to blur the scars.
How to do:
- Use your fingers with olive oil to gently massage on the scar area into small circles for 4 – 5 minutes and then use a towel to clean.
- Do this for several times and leave it for 15 minutes
- Rinse off the skin with lukewarm water
- Apply a rose lotion to regenerate and restore skin moisturizer.
Do it regularly every evening before going to bed until the scars on the skin are faded and disappear completely.
Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint essential oil is used for health and skin care very much. Thanks to the cis-carveol constituent, it has the ability against many kinds of bacteria and fungi and to treat blackheads. Also, it gets rid of dark scarring and regenerates the skin efficiently with its antioxidant properties.
How to use:
- Supply a little peppermint essential oil to your scars
- Massage them in circulation
- After about 15 minutes, rinse them with lukewarm water
Applying this method every day, you will see the scars are slowly faded away.
Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil is beneficial to skin care and anti-aging. Not just that, it is considered as the “panacea” for the treatment of atrophic scars. It strengthens the regeneration from the inner layers of the skin, resulting in surprising changes of surface structure.
How to do:
- Steam the atrophic skin to expand the pores to increase penetrating efficiency of lavender essential oil.
- Drip 1- 2 drops of the lavender oil to your hands and apply it to the area of scars.
- Massage gently for 15-20 minutes, which makes the nutrients in the lavender essential oil easily penetrate deeply into the skin.
- Leave it overnight and wash it with water next morning.
You can apply a mask to treat pitted scars with lavender oil on alternate days to get the best results.
Eglantine essential oil
Eglantine essential oil contains high levels of omega-3 and omega-6, so it is used to treat skin diseases such as acne, dermatitis, and fungal infections. Besides, it also helps to reverse the aging process of the skin. Especially, healing scars is one of its outstanding features. In other words, it improves damaged skin tissues from burn, traumas or acne. At the same time, due to its regeneration, the skin will become smoother and whiter.
How to do:
- Firstly, apply the essential oil directly to the skin of scarring.
- Gently massage it for 15 minutes so that the substance quickly absorbs into the skin and stimulates blood circulation effectively.
Do this twice a day after getting up and before going to bed. Also, you will be surprised to see that acne scar vanishes after a short time.
In addition to 7 amazing essential oils for scars above, you should combine with several scar removal creams to shorten the scar healing duration as well as increase the effectiveness of scar treatment.
Author Bio: JASMINE HE
Being interested in health and beauty as well as having a strong desire for the well-being, I have a broad knowledge of this area after having the patience to learn and experience it for a couple of years. However, along with my current education job, I have now been working as a freelance writer on health and beauty.